On Thursday lawyer Peter Ginsberg said that Kevin Williams won't appeal the latest legal ruling stemming from the StarCaps issue. While Pat Williams has maintained that he will continue to fight the four-game suspension imposed by the league, Kevin has said enough is enough.
Last month, the Minnesota Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the NFL in its ability to suspend him for violating the league's banned substance policy. By waiving his right to appeal, the suspension, which is expected to remain four games, will take place at the start of the 2011 season, which would represent the first four games of the year and cost Williams approximately $1.5 million of his $6 million salary.
While Kevin has thrown in the towel on the appeals process, Pat is still moving forward with his appeal. He has filed an appeal with the Minnesota Supreme Court, which will likely prevent any quick action against his pending suspension. The impetus for his decision to press on with the appeal may be due in large part to him being a free agent when a new collective bargaining agreement is reached and his market value would drop considerably if any potential new teams would be required to wait four games for him to become available.
While this may seem like a break in the ranks of the Williams Wall, it is more likely a difference in career path. Kevin has a few years left in his career and is looking to finally put the 2008 StarCaps decision behind him. Pat is in the final year or two of his career and can ill-afford to have his finite opportunity to continue playing cut short by a suspension.
It has been a dark cloud that has hung over both of the Williamses for the last three seasons and it would appear that, at long last, the case will finally be settled … at least as far as Kevin is concerned.
John Holler has been writing about the Vikings for more than a decade for Viking Update. Follow Viking Update on Twitter and discuss this topic on our message boards. To become a subscriber to the Viking Update web site or magazine, click here.