Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
Bennett Part of P.D. Identity Theft
Viking Update Staff
Posted Aug 21, 2003
2003 is a year for to forget for Michael Bennett. After suffering through a serious foot injury and shots fired at his S.U.V., VU has been told that an Eden Prairie Police Department officer has been attempting identity theft of Bennett and other Vikings.
On most police cars, the phrase "To Protect and Serve" is emblazoned on the sides. That has come into serious question, as a part-time security officer for the Vikings and an Eden Prairie police officer has been charged with identity theft concerning Vikings RB
Charges were filed Wednesday against officer Brent Griffith, who was a former draft pick of the Buffalo Bills. VU has been told the following:
* Griffith, who has lived in the small town of Benson, Minn., was under investigation for the past three weeks.
* Bennett alerted officials when he received confirmation of credit card applications while at training camp.
* Griffith was found in possession of not only items like tax records and credit card application materials of Bennett, but also of Vikings players
* Griffith did part-time work as a contract employee of the Vikings at Winter Park, which allegedly gave him access to personal information on Vikings players.
* Griffith was identified on a surveillance tape at a Benson convenience store where he paid for gasoline on a credit card issued in Bennett's name.
The Eden Prairie Police Department is conducting its own investigation and, while the evidence appears damning in the case, Griffith will receive due process. He is currently on paid leave from the department until the end of the investigation.
said Wednesday that the best pass rusher he has seen so far this season is linebacker
. He hinted that Rogers may find himself more in the nickel rotation as a designated pass rusher. He is currently in the starting lineup replacing injured LB
* Maybe it's the Denny Green school of coaching talking, but does this sound familiar to Vikings fans? VU was contacted Wednesday by a Jaguars beat writer for comment. New coach Jack Del Rio stated that "all (starting) positions are up for grabs" -- a line heard from Green several times. What does it mean? The starters are still starters, but someone will lose his job and possibly even be cut -- guaranteed.
* Two years ago, the Vikings made a strong pitch to acquire DE Michael McCrary from the Ravens. The deal never came through, which turned out to be a good thing. A Ravens source of VU's told us McCrary will announce his retirement from the NFL today following a series of injuries.
* It looks like RB
won't be able to make a favorable impression on coaches this week vs. the Raiders. Ned, who sustained a concussion in practice, is expected to miss Friday's game.
* ESPN football analyst John Clayton listed a pair of teams Wednesday that could be the surprise teams of their respective conferences. The Ravens were his AFC team. In the NFC? You had to know it would be the Vikes or we wouldn't be talking about it.
Frerotte Accepting Role
Aug 20, 2003
Is Elling Ascent A Smokescreen?
Aug 20, 2003
Tice Talk May Not Be Legit
Aug 22, 2003
Subscribe today and get a full year of
Viking Update Magazine
with an annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from VikingUpdate.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Players to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite players. Click name to add to
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft