Quarterback Daunte Culpepper played what was probably the smartest game of his professional career,…
Chapman Out Two Weeks?
Although the conventional wisdom is that rookie Onterrio Smith will carry the load while Michael Bennett is out -- from what VU is hearing that is likely to be all of this season -- Chapman was going to get his shot as the starter Sept. 7 at Green Bay.
That was, until his ankle got rolled up. From what VU is being told, the early diagnosis is a high ankle sprain -- the worst sprain you can have. It is severe enough that Chapman has already been ruled out to play vs. Arizona Thursday and will likely not play vs. the Packers on opening day.
If Smith has the team's confidence, the choices are easy. Let the rookie start, or let Moe Williams start and have Smith come in after the game has begun. It looks like Chapman is out of the equation.
* The first-unit Vikings offense got in the Raiders Red Zone on five of six possessions Saturday.
* Daunte Culpepper has yet to have a turnover in three preseason games. He has been praised for throwing balls out of bounds instead of forcing passes into coverage, which led to 32 turnovers attributed to Culpepper last year.
* VU is being told that not only has rookie WR Nate Burleson pushed his way past Kelly Campbell for the No. 3 WR job, but that, if he continues to play at the level he has shown, he will be pushing for a starting job within a month.
* One player who drew the personal ire of Tice Saturday was TE Sean Berton. After a punt that began with a block in the back, that penalty was negated by a ridiculously stupid personal foul on a late hit by Berton out of bounds. Tice not only grabbed Berton by the facemask to chew him out, he shoved him twice on the sidelines -- making his future come Tuesday's cutdown date a cloudy situation at best.
* When asked by VU, a team insider said that there is a "high probability" that all seven of the Vikings 2003 draft picks will make the final 53-man roster.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Bridgewater accepts blame for rough game
Teddy Bridgewater took on blame for the Lions game, saying he needed to get the ball out quicker the “majority” of times he took a sack.Read More
Elite QB run over, but Vikings respect Orton
After facing some of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, the Vikings get Kyle Orton this week. That might sound like a break, but Vikings defenders aren’t celebrating yet.Read More
Greenway working his way back
The Vikings got some encouraging injury news Wednesday, as Chad Greenway practiced fully on a Wednesday for the first time since Sept. 10.Read More
Peyton Manning Breaks All-Time TD Record
Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…Read More
LenDale White escorted out of the Coliseum
Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.Read More