Search this site
Junior College Football
NFL Free Agents
Moe to Start vs. Packers
Viking Update Staff
Posted Aug 25, 2003
To no great surprise -- especially considering the current circumstances -- Mike Tice announced Sunday that Moe Williams will be the Vikings' starting running back in the season opener vs. the Packers.
For the last couple of weeks, the question being asked around Mankato and Winter Park was who was going to be the Vikes' opening-day starter at running back?
A week ago,
told VU it wouldn't be rookie
. With Friday's ankle injury to
, Tice's announcement Sunday that
would start came as no surprise.
Chapman, who was competing for a starting role as the featured back, is expected to miss not only Thursday's game vs. the Cardinals, but also the regular-season opener at Lambeau. While the announcement of Williams as the starter doesn't mean he'll be the primary ball carrier in the opener, it sends a message that Smith needs to continue to progress to become the featured back -- which, while expected, won't be handed to him.
* It should be noted that Smith has three touchdowns in the preseason -- all coming from inside the 5-yard line. Last year, that was what many referred to as "Moe Country." If Smith continues to have that portion of the field as his domain in the regular season, it will add a new dimension to the Vikings offense.
* Chapman was at Winter Park Sunday wearing a protective boot on his injured ankle.
* Speaking of protective boots,
will have his cast removed Thursday. After it comes off, a prognosis -- likely negative -- will be assessed.
* The Vikes are expected to put Bennett and WR
on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list. That means neither would be available before Week 7.
* If that happens today, the Vikings will need to make 10 cuts by Tuesday's 4 p.m. deadline.
Two Rookies To Kick in '03?
Aug 26, 2003
Chapman Out Two Weeks?
Aug 23, 2003
Culpepper, Defense Shine In 21-6 Win
Aug 22, 2003
Subscribe today and get a full year of
Viking Update Magazine
with an annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from VikingUpdate.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Players to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite players. Click name to add to
View My HotList
Places to go:
Junior College Football
Things to do:
Things to buy:
Things to know:
Terms of Service
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2013 Microsoft