Punter Eddie Johnson assured his roster spot on the final 2003 roster Monday, as Mike Tice announced…
Moe to Start vs. Packers
A week ago, Mike Tice told VU it wouldn't be rookie Onterrio Smith. With Friday's ankle injury to Doug Chapman, Tice's announcement Sunday that Moe Williams would start came as no surprise.
Chapman, who was competing for a starting role as the featured back, is expected to miss not only Thursday's game vs. the Cardinals, but also the regular-season opener at Lambeau. While the announcement of Williams as the starter doesn't mean he'll be the primary ball carrier in the opener, it sends a message that Smith needs to continue to progress to become the featured back -- which, while expected, won't be handed to him.
* It should be noted that Smith has three touchdowns in the preseason -- all coming from inside the 5-yard line. Last year, that was what many referred to as "Moe Country." If Smith continues to have that portion of the field as his domain in the regular season, it will add a new dimension to the Vikings offense.
* Chapman was at Winter Park Sunday wearing a protective boot on his injured ankle.
* Speaking of protective boots, Michael Bennett will have his cast removed Thursday. After it comes off, a prognosis -- likely negative -- will be assessed.
* The Vikes are expected to put Bennett and WR Nick Davis on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list. That means neither would be available before Week 7.
* If that happens today, the Vikings will need to make 10 cuts by Tuesday's 4 p.m. deadline.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Bridgewater accepts blame for rough game
Teddy Bridgewater took on blame for the Lions game, saying he needed to get the ball out quicker the “majority” of times he took a sack.Read More
Elite QB run over, but Vikings respect Orton
After facing some of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, the Vikings get Kyle Orton this week. That might sound like a break, but Vikings defenders aren’t celebrating yet.Read More
Greenway working his way back
The Vikings got some encouraging injury news Wednesday, as Chad Greenway practiced fully on a Wednesday for the first time since Sept. 10.Read More
Peyton Manning Breaks All-Time TD Record
Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…Read More
LenDale White escorted out of the Coliseum
Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.Read More