Randy Moss and Gus Frerotte each set team records, as did Brian Russell and Corey Chavous on defense…
QB Controversy? Nah!
In short, fans and media saw what every other QB controversy has created -- a backup steps into the starting lineup and tears things up for a win.
But, there is no QB controversy in Minnesota. VU talked with both Frerotte and Culpepper after the game and each was adament that, when healthy, Daunte will be the starter.
"I expect to be back next week," Culpepper started his remarks to VU with. "I'm glad Gus did so well, but, when I'm feeling better, I'll be back in."
Frerotte spoke in similar terms, saying, "This is (Culpepper's) team. He is one of the best quarterbacks I've ever seen. When he's healthy, he's back in the lineup. He's the leader of this team."
Quarterback controversy? Maybe set up by some in the media, but not by the Vikings players themselves.
* In a pissy 10-minute gabfest after the game, 49ers wide receiver Terrell Owens proclaimed Randy Moss "the (NFL's) best wide receiver right now."
* In the third quarter, a VU staff overlord began thumbing through the Vikings media guide to see when the last time was the team had thrown a shutout in the regular season (it was 1993). Perhaps he should have been looking in the other media guide. In an incredible streak, the 49ers have gone 406 games without being shut out -- the last coming Oct. 9, 1977 in a 7-0 loss to Atlanta. As big as Sunday's win was for the Vikings, a shutout would have really made some history.
* The Vikings' 28-0 halftime lead was their biggest lead in a game at the break since 1990.
* Frerotte had the highest QB ranking for a starter in a game in franchise history. His 157.2 rating was almost perfect. The highest possible rating is 158.3.
* Byron Chamberlain returns to Winter Park at the end of his league-mandated suspension.
* Dating back to last year, the Vikings have seven straight wins.
* Every team that was unbeaten heading into Sunday remained unbeaten after Sunday.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Sullivan weighs seriousness of concussions
John Sullivan has suffered five concussions in his seven-year career, but he doesn’t believe his future is “in doubt.” He weighs the severity of the concussions against the number of them.Read More
Notebook: Vikings CB Robinson questionable
Vikings cornerback Josh Robinson didn’t practice Friday after rolling his ankle Thursday and is listed as questionable. And there could be a change in the works for the offensive line.Read More
Rudolph: Post-bye return is logical
Kyle Rudolph moved to conditioning on land this week and continues his comeback from sports hernia surgery.Read More
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More