Kenny Irvin was supposed to be a key component to the Vikings defense last year, before an injury in warmups before the regular-season opener put him on the shelf. A year later, it looks like history is repeating itself.
Irvin, now battling for a roster spot on an improved Vikings defense, injured his right shoulder Thursday and is likely lost for the remainder of the preseason.
If that's the case, Irvin will have missed 22 straight games (counting the playoffs last season and the preseason this year) and, for a guy fighting for a roster spot as it is, that can't be comforting news.
* Coach Mike Tice was an unhappy training camper Thursday -- cutting his usual comment period down to practically nothing by chewing out players to the assembled media and rebuffing the only question he fielded from the media throng. Look for a spirited practice today.
* The Vikes will conduct their first passing scrimmage tonight in Mankato.
* Zygi Wilf has sent a letter to officials in Blaine and Anoka County looking to get a partnership agreement to set aside the land in the county where a new stadium is likely to be built.
* Brian Williams, who has missed much of the early part of camp with injuries, left the team Thursday due to a death in the family. He is expected back Sunday.
* Speaking to a Chicago reporter, Matt Birk was quite succinct about his feelings on Randy Moss' departure, allegedly saying he wished Moss the best of luck, but following it up with "don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you." Tough talk from an Ivy Leaguer.
Assistant secondary coach Kevin Ross probably has more talented depth in the defensive backfield…