With the regular season opener less than three weeks away, the Vikings might have to face the…
Birk a No-Go For Opener?
When Birk had the surgery in July, VU openly speculated at the timetable projection, which we felt was a bit aggressive considering that much of his problem centered on being pushed back too soon last year.
Now it appears that the healing process is coming slower than anticipated. Mike Tice said there is no reason for alarm, that Birk is progressing slower than hoped, but he is still progressing.
Until he returns, Birk's place in the starting lineup will be taken by Cory Withrow.
* RB Ciatrick Fason is expected to be sidelined two to three weeks with a high ankle sprain.
* Anthony Herrera, who had been hospitalized with a leg infection since last Sunday, was released from the hospital Saturday.
* It would appear that E.J. Henderson has won the weakside linebacker job ... for now. He will be the starter when the Vikings play the Chargers on Friday.
* The Vikings have the first batch of cuts due this week, but plan to make a handful or more on Monday due more to space considerations at the team's training facility than wanting players to get a chance to hook on with someone else.
* Hovan: the Rebirth -- Former Viking Chris Hovan sparkled under his new tutors in Tampa Saturday, registering one tackle with no sacks and no assists. The extra effort paid off, although one VU scout said the tackle came as the result of a player stumbling over a prone Hovan.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Sullivan weighs seriousness of concussions
John Sullivan has suffered five concussions in his seven-year career, but he doesn’t believe his future is “in doubt.” He weighs the severity of the concussions against the number of them.Read More
Notebook: Vikings CB Robinson questionable
Vikings cornerback Josh Robinson didn’t practice Friday after rolling his ankle Thursday and is listed as questionable. And there could be a change in the works for the offensive line.Read More
Rudolph: Post-bye return is logical
Kyle Rudolph moved to conditioning on land this week and continues his comeback from sports hernia surgery.Read More
Week 8: Game Time Decisions
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Rob Warner posts his big-name players to watch as they heal at the last minute before the games begin on Sunday. Philadelphia Eagles RB Darren Sproles (pictured…Read More
NFL Week 8: Previews and Predictions
Highly opinionated previews of every game. Are you ready for some insider info?Read More