Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
Familiarity Rules Again
Viking Update Staff
Posted Jun 9, 2006
The signing of defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej had a lot to do with his status as a veteran and his past relationship with Brad Childress, as the head coach continues to bring in players he has worked with in the past.
The lookout for potential talent never stops in the NFL. So it was with Thursday's signing of defensive tackle
Kolodziej isn't a stranger to Vikings head coach Brad Childress, who was at the University of
when Koldziej played for the Badgers. He's a fifth-year pro who spent his first two seasons with the Giants, 2003 with the 49ers and the last two seasons with the Cardinals - where he started 14 games last year. He finished the 2005 season with 39 tackles and three sacks.
His role with the Vikings will clearly be as a backup to
, but his veteran leadership is his calling card and the Vikings believe he will have a good shot of making the final 53-man roster.
* The Vikings have reiterated that in the interim between now and the next state legislative session, they will not seek offers from other cities or counties in the Twin Cities metro area for a new stadium deal. Zygi Wilf remains committed to the idea of working out a billion-dollar private investment plan with Anoka County and that will be the only suitor the team plans to listen to.
* According to FOX Sports, the Vikings’ best offensive hope is from an unlikely source - quarterback. Despite having little in experience behind
, FOX rated the Vikings’ team quarterbacks as sixth in the league, which is much better than the rankings given their running backs (26th), wide receivers (17th) and tight ends (15th).
* The national media has been having a field day with Rick Spielman being hired by the Vikings. In one national column, a writer pointed out that Spielman was responsible for giving the Eagles a second-round pick for
. In addition, he messed up contract talks with DE Adawale Ogunleye that resulted in his being traded for pedestrian wide receiver
, giving up a Day One draft pick for RB
and trading with the Vikings to move up one spot to take guard
. The Vikings used the extra pick to take
* Childress and Herm Edwards are the only two new coaches in the NFL taking over teams that had winning records in 2005.
* The Rams signed former Vikings defensive tackle
to a one-year contract.
Free Agency Old Hat to Kolodziej
Jan 16, 2007
The Other Side of Free Agency
Mar 13, 2007
Notebook: Visiting the Rival
Apr 9, 2007
Subscribe today and get a full year of
Viking Update Magazine
with an annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from VikingUpdate.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Players to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite players. Click name to add to
View My HotList
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Football > Minnesota
Football > Wisconsin > Alumni
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft