Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
K-Rob Charges Pile Up
Viking Update Staff
Posted Aug 17, 2006
The charges came down on Koren Robinson Wednesday as the facts surrounding his arrest came in clearer focus and the depth of his legal problems was determined.
From the time that Vikings wide receiver
was arrested for DWI Tuesday night, it was clear there were going to be problems. But the depth of those troubles came into clearer focus Wednesday afternoon.
Robinson was released from Nicollet County Jail Wednesday afternoon after posting $50,000 bail and the details of both the charges and the facts of the case were revealed.
Robinson was clocked by St. Peter police doing 104 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone, but speeds reached in excess of 120 mph according to police, who allegedly lost Robinson's vehicle despite pursuit speeds of 120 mph. The pursuit lasted 14 miles and he was apprehended just a couple of blocks away from the team's training camp site in Mankato.
The charges against Robinson include one felony count of fleeing police and five misdemeanors -- two misdemeanor DWI counts, a reckless driving charge, a careless driving charge and driving with a suspended license. But the problems may not end there.
Robinson was cited for not having a Minnesota driver's license, his license in North Carolina that he was using was not valid and he is still on probation in Washington for a previous DWI conviction. Those charges could also come back to haunt him if he ever returns to Washington, where he would be subject to fulfilling the full sentence to which he was charged.
As the Vikings prepare to leave for Pittsburgh Friday, it almost assuredly won't be with Robinson. The bigger question is whether he'll ever play for the Vikings again. Coach Brad Childress didn't sound optimistic, saying an example needs to be made for the organization and the rest of the team.
"I am trying to create a culture of accountability," Childress said. "It doesn't matter who it is. You can't drink and drive."
* A Denver newspaper is reporting that the Vikings have already expressed an interest in disgruntled Broncos WR Ashley Lelie in light of the Robinson situation.
* The Lions could be another party with an interest in this situation. Reports out of Detroit earlier in the week suggest that former first-round pick Charles Rogers is 50-50 to be outright released. While it's difficult to make a trade within the division, the Lions might be willing to part with him for a late-round draft pick instead of cutting him and receiving nothing.
* The Vikes still have a game on Saturday and it might not include Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers QB missed most of practice Thursday after hitting his throwing thumb on the shoulder pad of an offensive lineman. Big Ben played much of the second half of last season with an injured throwing thumb.
* Looking ahead, the Vikings may luck out in their season opener with the Redskins. Not only is RB Clinton Portis a question mark to play, but CB Shawn Springs is almost a sure bet not to be ready for the game.
* Chad Greenway was back in Mankato with a brace over his right knee. He is expected to have surgery next week. The knee he injured isn't the same one that he tore an ACL on as a freshman in college.
* The Vikings signed linebacker Jason Glenn, late of the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets and released punter John Torp. Glenn played in all 16 games for the Miami Dolphins in 2005 and finished third on the team with 13 special teams tackles. Prior to his time in Miami, he played four seasons for the N.Y. Jets (2001-04). * From the Irony Department comes this: During his press conference speaking about the ills of drinking and driving, Childress sat in front of a Vikings backdrop that is sponsored by a beer company.
Commentary: History Repeated Itself
Aug 17, 2006
Viking Have Outside Options at Wide Receiver
Aug 16, 2006
Childress Addresses Robinson's Arrest
Aug 16, 2006
Subscribe today and get a full year of
Viking Update Magazine
with an annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from VikingUpdate.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Players to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite players. Click name to add to
View My HotList
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Football > Minnesota
Football > NC State > Alumni
Football > Seattle
Football > South Point HS > Alumni
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft