Player Spotlight Name: Robert Tate Position: Cornerback College: Cincinnati Measurables:…
Fast forward to Tuesday, Tate had lost his starting job, lost his nickel back job and lost his dime back job in the Vikings secondary. As a result, and as coach Mike Tice told VU, the team did him a favor by releasing him.
Tice said he wanted to give Tate a chance to catch on with another team so he cut him a week before a slew of other cuts will hit the road in search of a new home on the league's first cutdown date Aug. 27.
The overhaul of the Vikings defense looks to be complete with the release of Tate. With his ouster, all four secondary starters from opening day last year -- CBs Tate and Kenny Wright and safeties Robert Griffith and Orlando Thomas are all no longer with the team.
* Three teams have already expressed an interest in Tate -- Carolina, Baltimore and Green Bay. The best bet may be Carolina, where Tate could do double duty as a CB and a kickoff return man. The Panthers lost KR Michael Bates for the season with a broken leg and are in the market for a new return man.
* Doctors confirmed Tuesday that Lemanski Hall has a fractured orbit of his right eye. He is expected to miss at least two weeks and both he and LB Raonall Smith have been ruled out for Friday's game with Tennessee.
* Corbin Lacina returned to practice after another bout with cellulitis -- an infection of the lower leg. He has had the infection more than once while battling ankle injuries.
* With Tate gone, the only Vikings with more than five years experience with the team are Dave Dixon and Chris Walsh, both entering their ninth year with the team, and Harold Morrow, in his seventh year as a Viking.
* Former Vikings TE Giles Cole was released by the Rams Tuesday.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Vikings stadium about a quarter complete
The new Vikings stadium was 23 percent complete at the end of September and progress continues with 650 workers on site daily. Plus, injury updates on the offensive line and Amy Senser is done with…Read More
Vikings lament the last-second loss
The Vikings couldn’t really explain it, but they had to accept the one-point, last-second loss.Read More
Zimmer adjusting with youth of Vikings
Mike Zimmer is staying patient with young players who are learning on the fly.Read More
Week 8: Fantasy Football Player Upgrades
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Mark Morales-Smith provides the best Fantasy options to target because they are on the rise in the short or long term. Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo (pictured above)…Read More
Who's Hot? Week 8: Trevone, Pitt D, Kirby
The stud teams, players, coaches and trends from Week 8Read More