Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
No Lack of Confidence
Viking Update Staff
Posted Feb 25, 2007
Calvin Johnson addressed the media Saturday at the Combine and, while not at a loss for the belief in his own skills, he deflected any comparisons to his skill sets to that of Randy Moss or Terrell Owens, saying attitude plays into the equation and he should instead be compared to a player like Marvin Harrison.
Welcome to the NFL,
Even though it’s a shade over two months before Johnson will be drafted into the league, his first chance to address the NFL media assembled in Indianapolis for the Scouting Combine, Johnson wasn’t lacking for confidence in his own ability or the belief that he should be the top pick in the draft.
A rare combination of size, speed and strength, Johnson was asked how he compares to players like former Viking
– both of whom have had more than their share of problems with the league and with coaches and teammates. Johnson did his best to avoid any such comparisons being made.
"Obviously, this year a lot has been made of Randy Moss and T.O.," Johnson said. "But my character on the field, I'm like
– just trying to get the job done. I'm more like Marvin Harrison with the attitude."
With the Vikings at pick No. 7, it’s clear that, barring a trade up, the team will miss out on Johnson. As it stands, the seventh pick might be a perfect spot for a trade with a team looking to move up. The top-end talent seems to run about seven or eight picks deep, with Johnson, quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and
, offensive tackle
, running back
and defensive linemen
* Getting the Vikings brass back to Minnesota will likely take some time. The state was blasted by a winter storm that dumped more than a foot of snow in many areas and as much as two feet in some spots – closing down the airport and leaving thousands of travelers stranded.
* Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is expected to arrive in Indianapolis today.
* Word out of Winter Park is that the Vikings will likely invite all of their prospective draftees at the same time, work them out together and have a dinner scheduled for them in a cattle call of players. In the past under the Wilf regime, the team has brought in players in small groups.
* Miami tight end
solidified his spot as the No. 1 tight end on the draft board by running a 4.51 40-yard dash – a full two-tenths of a second better than any other TE that ran at the Combine.
* The Denver Broncos suffered their second player tragedy in less than two months Saturday night when running back
collapsed and died following a charity basketball game. Most of the Broncos front office personnel was in Indianapolis for the Combine, so details are sketchy at this point. The Broncos lost cornerback
in January after he was shot and killed following a New Year’s Eve party.
NFL Combine Transcript: H.B Blades
Feb 24, 2007
Combine Workouts: The Offensive Linemen
Feb 24, 2007
Combine Workouts: The Tight Ends
Feb 24, 2007
Subscribe today and get a full year of
Viking Update Magazine
with an annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from VikingUpdate.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Football > Minnesota
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft