Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
Records Fall, One Remains
Viking Update Staff
Posted Dec 9, 2002
On a night when Michael Bennett, Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper got in the Vikings record books, the one record that didn't fall was the Vikings road losing streak.
The Vikings have been fighting a road losing streak for more than two years. Despite having chances to snap it over that span, perhaps Sunday's loss to Green Bay was the most painful, since the team never trailed until 1:06 remained in the game.
Lost in the defeat and the melee that boiled over at the end of the game was the re-writing of the Vikings and NFL record books. Four minutes into the game,
caught a 15-yard pass to go over 1,000 yards -- becoming the first player in NFL history to have 1,000 or more receiving yards in each of his first five seasons. One the next play,
went over 1,000 yards for the first time in his career.
Later in the quarter, Moss caught a TD pass from
-- the 26th connection between the two. It tied the team record set by Warren Moon and
for most touchdowns between a QB and a receiver.
In the second half, Bennett went over 100 yards for the third time in as many games vs. the Packers and it was his second 100-yard game in two trips to Lambeau Field. He and Christian Okoye of the Kansas City Chiefs were the only players to do that in league history in the their first two games at Lambeau.
However, there was no celebration of the feats. Just another defeat to ponder and wonder what could have been.
* The temperature at gametime was a mere 7 degrees and, with the win,
continued his unbeaten string at home in cold weather -- now 34-0 when the temperature is 33 degrees or less.
* Sunday's was the first night game ever in December at Lambeau Field and, considering that the referee's microphone froze up twice, it may be the last.
* In the second quarter, Favre topped 3,000 passing yards for the seventh straight year.
* With 1:38 to play in the third quarter, Culpepper completed a pass to
, the first completion in nine attempts and his first completion since the first play of the second quarter -- a span on almost 29 minutes of game time.
* For the first three quarters-plus, the Vikings didn't convert a third down. They converted two on their final full drive before the Packers scored the game-winning touchdown.
* The Packers' win evens the career series between the teams at 41-41-1 with an average margin of victory of 1.4 points.
re-injured his heel on a 44-yard run Sunday and will be evaluated today about his status for Sunday's game at New Orleans.
sustained a concussion Sunday, but is expected to be available next weekend.
* In 10 career games vs. the Packers, Moss has caught 49 passes for 1,001 yards and 10 TDs.
Ferguson arrives just in time
Dec 9, 2002
Brad Banks Named AP College Player of the Year
Dec 9, 2002
Gbaja-Biamila finds the strength to help his team
Dec 8, 2002
Subscribe today and get a full year of
Viking Update Magazine
with an annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from VikingUpdate.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Players to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite players. Click name to add to
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft