Receiver Robert Ferguson, GB's second pick in the '01 draft, once seemed poised to take the same…
Records Fall, One Remains
Lost in the defeat and the melee that boiled over at the end of the game was the re-writing of the Vikings and NFL record books. Four minutes into the game, Randy Moss caught a 15-yard pass to go over 1,000 yards -- becoming the first player in NFL history to have 1,000 or more receiving yards in each of his first five seasons. One the next play, Michael Bennett went over 1,000 yards for the first time in his career.
Later in the quarter, Moss caught a TD pass from Daunte Culpepper -- the 26th connection between the two. It tied the team record set by Warren Moon and Cris Carter for most touchdowns between a QB and a receiver.
In the second half, Bennett went over 100 yards for the third time in as many games vs. the Packers and it was his second 100-yard game in two trips to Lambeau Field. He and Christian Okoye of the Kansas City Chiefs were the only players to do that in league history in the their first two games at Lambeau.
However, there was no celebration of the feats. Just another defeat to ponder and wonder what could have been.
* The temperature at gametime was a mere 7 degrees and, with the win, Brett Favre continued his unbeaten string at home in cold weather -- now 34-0 when the temperature is 33 degrees or less.
* Sunday's was the first night game ever in December at Lambeau Field and, considering that the referee's microphone froze up twice, it may be the last.
* In the second quarter, Favre topped 3,000 passing yards for the seventh straight year.
* With 1:38 to play in the third quarter, Culpepper completed a pass to Jim Kleinsasser, the first completion in nine attempts and his first completion since the first play of the second quarter -- a span on almost 29 minutes of game time.
* For the first three quarters-plus, the Vikings didn't convert a third down. They converted two on their final full drive before the Packers scored the game-winning touchdown.
* The Packers' win evens the career series between the teams at 41-41-1 with an average margin of victory of 1.4 points.
* Moe Williams re-injured his heel on a 44-yard run Sunday and will be evaluated today about his status for Sunday's game at New Orleans.
* Willie Offord sustained a concussion Sunday, but is expected to be available next weekend.
* In 10 career games vs. the Packers, Moss has caught 49 passes for 1,001 yards and 10 TDs.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Ball security key vs. opportunistic Bucs
The Bucs give up yards and points, but they have been one of the better teams at forcing fumbles.Read More
Injury updates: Sullivan clear of concussion
Center John Sullivan has cleared post-concussion protocols and should be able to play Sunday. Still, the Vikings had an extensive injury report Thursday.Read More
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More