Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
Vikings May Look to Trade Bouman
Viking Update Staff
Posted Feb 7, 2003
Vikings backup QB Todd Bouman is the subject of potential trade talks, as several teams look to add a quarterback.
As reported last month, the Vikings have an expensive decision to make concerning backup QB
. As part of the three-year contract he signed before the 2001 season, Bouman is set to receive a $1 million bonus if he's still on the roster April 15 and a 2003 salary of $850,000.
There is some question as to whether the Vikings are going to pay that kind of money for a player who will be a free agent following the 2003 season. VU has been told the team is looking at another option to paying him or releasing him -- trading him.
The timing is right for both the Vikings to get value for Bouman (i.e. draft picks) and for Bouman to get a starting opportunity somewhere else. The Ravens, Panthers, Bears, Bengals and Broncos are looking for a new starting QB and the Cardinals will also be in the market if
moves on via free agency. Add to that the fact
has openly talked about retirement and you can add the Packers to the list of teams looking to find a starting-caliber QB.
If the Vikings do swing a deal, it likely will happen after the Combine, when several of these same teams get a chance to look at the deep rookie QB crop. If no player they really like is going to be available, a deal for Bouman could happen quickly.
* In NFL Europe news, the Vikings allocated WR
to the Amsterdam Admirals so they can work together. Guard
has been allocated to the Scottish Claymores and OT
to Frankfurt. Kicker
will be assigned teams after a league kicking camp in March.
* Jeff Diamond is apparently getting closer to signing a one-year deal to stay with the Titans.
* From the It's Too Strange Not To Be True Department comes this: Dimitrius Underwood, the troubled former first-round pick of the Vikings, has been deemed incompetent to stand trial in Texas. What is he on trial for? Robbing a paraplegic. It never ends for Dimitrius, does it?
* From the "Oh, Do Shut Up" Department comes this: Rev. Jesse Jackson wants the Lions fined and barred from the 2003 draft because of the perception the team wanted Steve Mariucci and didn't consider minority candidates. While their Mooch love was obvious, Denny Green and others were contacted, but declined to come to Detroit for interviews. Jesse should stay out of football -- at least in this instance.
* From the You May Come Home Again Department comes this: Former Vikings defensive coordinator Willie Shaw is one year shy of the needed tenure to kick in a pension plan. Mike Tice has said if Shaw doesn't hook up with another team, he would bring him back to get the needed year of tenure.
Bouman Wanted for Questioning
Feb 8, 2003
Pettas talks about 'reunion'
Feb 11, 2003
Vikings Allocate Six to NFL Europe
Feb 4, 2003
Subscribe today and get a full year of
Viking Update Magazine
with an annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from VikingUpdate.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Players to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite players. Click name to add to
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft