Is Matt Millen making a mess of the free agency period? Lions' insider Mike Fowler believes so, and…
Vikes To Offer George A Contract
Because of that familiarity, as well as knowing Daunte Culpepper and many of the offensive players on the team, VU has been told the Vikings are preparing a contract offer to George that could be submitted as early as today.
While coach Mike Tice has also indicated the team would be satisfied with QB Gus Frerotte, with Todd Bouman no longer on the roster, the need for a veteran backup QB has taken a heightened urgency.
From what VU has been told, the Vikes will likely offer George a two-year deal in the $2 million range with several incentives that could increase the amount with playing time bonuses. Expect to see a deal done with one of them by the end of the week.
* Just when it looked like the Vikes had no shot at Vonnie Holliday, contract talks with the Cardinals have stalled and the Vikings could potentially make a late run. Holliday's agent said he wants to get a contract finalized this week, so the Vikings and Cards are on the clock.
* The team is also looking at former Lions LB Chris Claiborne as an option. He played MLB with Detroit, but is more natural on the outside and, with Greg Biekert under contract, he would be moved outside if signed by the Vikes.
* WR Oronde Gadsden is scheduled for a visit later this week.
* The Bucs are apparently interested in former Viking Dwayne Rudd.
* Former Viking John Randle restructured his contract with the Seahawks -- a sign that this may be his last year in the NFL.
* In NFL owners news, it is expected that owners are going to reject a proposal to change league overtime rules and there is a growing sentiment to add a playoff team as early as this year. Under the plan, the team with the best record in each conference would get a bye, allowing one wild card team to be added -- letting three division winners play three wild cards in the first round of the playoffs.
VikingUpdate.com Recommended Stories
Bridgewater accepts blame for rough game
Teddy Bridgewater took on blame for the Lions game, saying he needed to get the ball out quicker the “majority” of times he took a sack.Read More
Elite QB run over, but Vikings respect Orton
After facing some of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, the Vikings get Kyle Orton this week. That might sound like a break, but Vikings defenders aren’t celebrating yet.Read More
Greenway working his way back
The Vikings got some encouraging injury news Wednesday, as Chad Greenway practiced fully on a Wednesday for the first time since Sept. 10.Read More
Dr. Roto Video: Key Matchups
Another week brings a whole new slew of matchups. This week, Dr. Roto really likes Chicago Bears QB Jay Cutler (pictured above) as he goes up against the Miami Dolphins.Read More
NFL Week 7: Previews & Predictions
Our staff breaks down every game this week with insider info.Read More